Reporting loss or theft of numberplates
Were one or both numberplates of your vehicle stolen? Have you lost one or both numberplates? Then you must apply for a new registration number. The old one will then be blocked. You cannot then be held responsible if another person commits offences or crimes with your old numberplates.
Please note: You may not drive your vehicle on public roads without numberplates.
- to report the theft: the police
- For the issuing of the new numberplates: the approval authorities in whose area you maintain your place of residence, company headquarters or branch office. The authorities are
- for an urban district (Stadtkreis): the city council (Stadtverwaltung)
- for a rural district (Landkreis): the rural district office (Landratsamt)
In case of theft, you must make a report to the police as quickly as possible. The notification must contain the following details:
- Official registration number
- What numberplates were stolen (front or rear)
- When the theft took place
In case of loss or theft, you or another person must apply for a new registration number for your vehicle at the competent body. Many licensing authorities have a form available for downloading or an online service via the Internet.
The licensing authority will issue your vehicle with a licence plate and attach the stickers (main inspection and stamp) to it.
Should you wish to drive in environmental zones, you must also apply for a particle emissions sticker for the new registration.
Tip: You can obtain numberplates from private providers, which are usually located close to the approval authorities.
You can also have a new vanity plate issued.. Your old registration number will remain blocked for a certain period of time, in order to avoid misuse.
- Valid personal identity document or passport
- Additionally in case of representation:
- Written power of attorney
- Valid personal identity document or passport of the representative
- In case of minors: additional declaration consent and identity documents of the parents/guardians
- For legal entities/companies:
- Certification of registration part I (previously: registration certificate)
- Certification of registration part II (previously: registration certificate)
- Proof of a valid main inspection (MI)
- In case of loss: Loss declaration or affidavit of the vehicle owner
- Additionally in case of theft: written confirmation of the theft notification to the police
- If only one numberplate was stolen: the second numberplate
Note: The licensing authorities can request an affidavit in respect of the whereabouts of the numberplate. Many licensing authorities offer forms for downloading for:
- affidavit concerning the loss of numberplates
- power of attorney
Depending on time taken for administration: from 26.80 EUR
Additional costs will be incurred for the number plates.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Verkehrsministerium released it on 01.07.2019. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.