Applying for a student loan from the KfW
By means of a student loan, students can cover their ongoing costs. This support does not depend on the income of the parents.
Between 100 and 650 EUR per month
- Variable interest rate
- Is set on 01.04. and 01.10. each year
- Payment to student phase: 3 to 7 years
- Grace period: 6 to 23 months
- Repayment phase: maximum of 25 years or until the 67th birthday
Tip: You can combine the student loan with other support, such as BAFöG or the KfW educational loan.
The KfW Banking Group - Förderbank - Beratungszentrum Frankfurt am Main
- Students aged between 18 and 44 years
- German citizens
- EU citizens
- Family members of German and EU citizens
- Persons who have completed their education in Germany
Making the application and submission to the sales partner
- Print out the contractual offer and submit this to the sales partner.
- The sales partner will forward your documents.
- Once you are accepted, you will receive the access data for online banking by post.
- Here, you can access the support.
You can submit your application three months in advance. You can adjust the monthly sum on 15.03. and 15.09. each year.
- Contractual offer form
- Passport or personal ID card
- Certificate of study
- Proof of bank account
A detailed list of all necessary documents can be found in the programme information of the KfW support portal.
- Loan interest
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The KfW released it on 10.12.2018. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.