Procedure descriptions

Changing your school district

You are not free to choose which primary school your child should attend. Normally children attend the primary school in the catchment area in which the parents live or have their permanent residence. In exceptional cases, upon request your child can change the catchment area and be registered in another primary school.

In the case of Hauptschulen (secondary school, 11 to 15/16-year-olds) and Werkrealschulen (secondary school offering an extension course leading to a qualified leaving certificate) the following applies from the 2010/11 school year: generally the Werkrealschule and Hauptschule are so-called free choice schools in acc. with § 25 para. 1 of the law governing schools (SchG), the education authorities can however specify catchment areas for Werkrealschulen and Hauptschulen. If it makes use of this option, your child has to attend the Hauptschule or Werkrealschule in the catchment area. There are no restrictions, however, if you want to change from a Hauptschule in the catchment area to a Werkschule.

Responsible department

the lower school supervisory authority (Staatliches Schulamt) responsible for the place of residence



You have to apply to the school or the school supervisory authority if you intend to change the school district and generally the change has to be approved by the lower school supervisory authority.

Application forms for changing the school district are available at primary schools and secondary schools type ”Hauptschule”.

The legal guardians receive the decision about the application to change the school in writing. If it is possible to change, then the child is automatically registered at the new school.

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Kultusministerium released it on 27.01.2016. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.