Pension fund for auditors and certified accountants (WPV) - applying for membership
The Versorgungswerk der Wirtschaftsprüfer und der vereidigten Buchprüfer (WPV) in the state of North Rhine Westphalia (NRW) is responsible for auditors and certified bookkeepers in all German States (with the exception of Saarland).
The duties of the WPV are to give the following benefits to its members and their surviving dependants:
- old-age pension
- occupational disability pension
- provisions for dependants (widow’s or orphan’s pension)
- reimbursement of contributions, if your membership ends before being granted old-age pension
- transfer of contributions to another pension provider
- lump-sum settlement for members, whose pension entitlement has not reached a minimum amount.
Note: In addition, upon request the WPV can give allowances for the costs for any required and particularly costly medical rehabilitation measures. However there is no entitlement to this.
Members of the WPV must pay a monthly obligatory contribution, unless they are receiving an old age pension or a pension due to incapacity to work. This is a specific part (contribution rate) of the monthly contribution calculation threshold of the statutory pension insurance which applies in North Rhine Westphalia. Should you income be less than this contribution calculation threshold, you can apply for an income dependent setting of contributions.
Note: In certain cases, you can be exempted from the obligation to pay contributions in full or in part (for example should you already have an insurance or pension scheme under public law). Should you not be fully exempted from the contribution obligation, you must pay at least one tenth of the regular obligatory contribution (minimum contribution). Usually, your employer will pay the contributions for you to forward on to the WPV.
If you are in an employment relationship, please inform your employer of your membership number. Please inform your employer of your exemption from the insurance obligation in the statutory pension insurance.
Tip: Further information concerning contributions can be found in the articles of association of the Versorgungswerk der Wirtschaftsprüfer und der vereidigten Buchprüfer.
Pension fund for auditors and certified accountants
The following are obliged to be members of the Versorgungswerk der Wirtschaftsprüfer und der vereidigten Buchprüfer:
- Self employed and non self employed auditors and certified bookkeepers with a place of business or office in all German States except Saarland
- who are members of the board, persons, managing directors or personally liable shareholders of auditing or bookkeeping companies whose principal place of business or offices are located in all German States except Saarland in accordance with the German Partnership Act ( Partnerschaftsgesellschaftsgesetz), even if they are not themselves auditors or bookkeepers.
Membership of the Versorgungswerk der Wirtschaftsprüfer und der vereidigten Buchprüfer is excluded if:
- you do not fulfil the above mentioned requirements until after your 45th birthday and you are a member of another insurance or pension group of your profession under public law or
- are aged 66 or above.
You have to register with the WPV. You can get the required registration form there. Send the completed and signed registration form to the WPV.
After your registration, the pension fund will inform you by means of an official notification whether you meet the requirements for membership. The official notification will include your membership number, which you should state every time you contact the WPV in the future.
You can get exemption from the compulsory insurance at the statutory pension insurance and join the WPV. To do this, you have to file an application. You can get the required form for the exemption request from the WPV. The request for exemption also has to be completed and signed, and sent back to WPV. They will complete your application and pass it on to the German association of pension insurance companies.
As soon as you meet the requirements for membership, you have to register with the WPV.
If you are applying for the calculation of the amount in accordance with the respectively proven income from employment: Self estimation of income. The subsequent setting will take place following submission of the income tax return.
- For registration: none
- For registration: monthly regular obligatory contribution
Most employers pay the contributions directly to the WPV. If you are employed, you should therefore give your employer your membership number and inform him/her of your exemption from the compulsory insurance in the statutory pension insurance. If you are not employed or if your employer does not pay the contributions directly to the pension fund, you have to pay the contributions yourself.
The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Versorgungswerk der Wirtschaftsprüfer und der vereidigten Buchprüfer released it on 27.02.2017. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.