Procedure descriptions

Registering with the Register of Medical Practitioners

You must be entered into the Register of Medical Practitioners if you subsequently wish to be licensed to practise medicine or psychotherapy.

The Federal Associations of National Health Physicians (Kassenärztliche Vereinigungen) keep a Register of Medical Practitioners for each registration district. These registers contain personal and professional information about each member that is important for licensing purposes.

Responsible department

the medical practitioner registration office for the (Kassenärztliche Vereinigung),in whose registration district you live

Note: If you do not reside in the Federal Republic of Germany, you may choose any Register of Medical Practitioners you wish.



In order to be registered as a medical practitioner, you must

  • be licensed to practice as a doctor, and
  • have successfully completed one of the following courses of advanced training:
    • advanced general medical training
    • advanced training in another specialised field with the entitlement to use a corresponding title

In order to be registered as a psychotherapist, you must

  • be licensed to practice as a psychotherapist, and
  • provide evidence of specialist training.
    You can provide evidence of specialist training by submitting proof of the following:
    • in-depth training in a recognised treatment method, or
    • training and examination in a recognised treatment method that forms the basis of the licence to practise psychotherapy, or
    • qualifications, training, advanced training required for the licence to practise psychotherapy or the required number of patients and hours of therapy and theoretical training in a recognised treatment method


You must apply in writing to the competent authority for entry into the Register of Medical Practitioners. You will receive a confirmation.

Required documents

  • Birth certificate
  • Any documents indicating a name change or the entitlement to use a double-barrelled name (e.g. marriage certificate)
  • Approbationsurkunde (licence to practise medicine)
  • Certificate of completion of the course of study
  • Document concerning recognition as a specialist doctor or qualification in accordance with the guidelines relating to psychotherapy.
  • Proof / certificates concerning previous experience as a doctor / psychotherapist.
  • Documents relating to continued professional development courses which have been completed.
  • Doctoral certificate and proof of the right to use academic grades or titles.
  • If applicable, proof of citizenship.
  • In case of documents in a foreign language: Translation by a state approved translator.

You must provide originals. The competent authority may request additional documents in individual cases.


EUR 100.00

Release note

The German original version of this text was drafted in close cooperation with the relevant departments. The Sozialministerium released it on 14.05.2020. Only the German text is legally binding. The Federal State does not assume any liability for the translated texts.
In cases of doubt or if you have any questions or problems, please contact the relevant authorities directly.